Legal Services for Cape Cod and Islands, Inc.
Do you need a divorce?

Are you concerned about a fair
division of your family income
and assets in a divorce?

Do you or your child need protection in a
custody case or in a case involving DSS?

We may be able
to help you !
Legal Services for Cape Cod and Islands, Inc. provides free legal advice and representation to low income and elderly clients. We help a great many people who have family law problems, but we cannot serve all who request our assistance.

In the first place we are not permitted by law to work for those who have too much property or income in relation to the size of their families. But even if you are financially eligible there are so many families in that situation that we could not possibly represent all and do a decent job. We have worked out a system of priorities.
We will give preference to:
Those parents with minor children whose economic welfare we feel we can boost especially if the families have very low income;
those who are victims of abuse;
those who are disabled or homeless; or
those who are in danger of losing their children to a foster home or to the Department of Social Services.

If you need legal representation, and believe you may fit in one of these priorities, call us. We 'II ask you for some basic information which the family law attorneys will review. We will then call you back and let you know if we can take your case.

LSCCI has two family law attorneys who can represent you in probate court. LSCCI also has a counseling program through which you can receive advice only from a private attorney about your family law problem. Finally, a number of private attorneys will represent you free of charge if you are referred from LSCCI.

If we cannot represent you, we will try to give you some information and suggestions on where to go for more help.
Independence House -in Hyannis will help you with counselling and court advocacy if you have experienced domestic violence. Call (508) 771-6507. For similar services in Plymouth, call the South Shore Women's Center at (508) 746-2664. In Nantucket, call A Safe Place at 228-2111. On Martha's Vineyard, call Women's Support Services at 696-7233.

The Department of Transitional Assistance will help you if you have no income or need emergency assistance or medical care. Call (508) 771-1201, or 495-1400, or 732-3100 to find the office nearest you.

The Barnstable County Bar Association may be able to help you through one of the programs is offers. Call (508) 362-2121.

The Plymouth County Bar Association offers a lawyer of the day program through Pilgrim Advocates, at (508) 583-6966.
LSCCI represents low-income and elderly people who live in Barnstable, Dukes, Nantucket and Eastern Plymouth Counties, including the Plymouth towns of Carver, Duxbury, Halifax, Hanson, Kingston, Lakeville, Marion, Marshfield, Middleborough, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Rochester and Wareham.

Home, Charitable Giving, Program Information, Newsletter, Private Attorney Involvement,
Client Education Materials, Other Legal Services/Resources, Current Events/News,
Massachusetts Statewide Plan , E-mail Registry